Areas of research include:
- Tree biotechnology
- Relationship between genes expression and phenotypic cell wall and development traits
- Plant Metabolism (Metabolomics)
- Cell Wall Development
- Cellulose Biosynthesis
- Lignin Biosynthesis
- Tree Metabolism
- Sucrose Metabolism
- Trees and the Environment; Remediation of anthropogenic contaminants:
- heavy metals
Genome British Columbia/Genome Canada
WQI Limited, New Zealand
WQI Limited, New Zealand
NSERC Strategic Grant
NSERC Partnership Grant (CellFor Inc.)
NSERC Discovery Grant
Current Graduate Students
Post Doctoral Fellows and Research Assistants
Previous Students, Post Doctoral Fellows and Research Assistants
- Sofiya Lazarova (MSc Completed 2015 Sept) – Investigating the role of sucrose phosphate synthase and hexokinase in carbon sink strength. Currently PhD Student
- Amanda Johnson (MSc Completed 2015 May) – Impact of Cell Wall Chemistry and Ultrastructure on Bioenergy production – currently PhD Student in Dr. Scott Rennackar’s lab, UBC
- Foster (James) Hart (MSc Completed 2013 Feb) – Does heterosis impact cell wall traits in hybrid aspen? Currently Research Technician, Shawn Mansfield’s lab, UBC
- Francis de Araujo (MSc Completed 2012 Nov) – Wood Quality of Aspen and White Spruce in Boreal Mixedwood Forests
- Tsung Jeng (Kent) Chen (MSc Completed 2012 Nov) – Investigating the role of Sucrose Synthase in Arabidopsis and Poplar. Currently PhD, UBC Clinical Medicine
- Magdalena Hrynkiewicz-Moczulski (MSc Completed 2012 Aug) – Investigating the role of endoglucanase on cell wall development and ultrastructure. Currently Project Manaager, UBC Genome Science Centre
- Genoa Barchet (MSc Completed 2010 May) – Effects of drought stress on metabolite profiles of hybrid and pure Populs spp.
- Ukrainetz N (MSc Completed 2006 March)li>
- Stewart J (MSc Completed 2005 April)
- Cross J (MSc Completed 2002 Jan)
- Charles N (MASc Completed 2002 Nov)
- Cullis I (MSc Completed 2002 Dec)
- Huntley S (MSc Completed 2003 Jan)
- Woo K (MSc Completed 2003 Feb)
- Stebbing D (MSc Completed 2002 April)
- Grant McNair (PhD Completed 2015 Feb) – Genes involved in the remodeling of the cell walls and their potential interactions that facilitate the process of xylem formation. Currently a Post-Doctoral Fellow, in Dr. Allison Kermode’s lab, Dept. of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University.
- Li Xi (PhD Completed 2014 April) – Investigating the role of Arabinogalactan proteins (AGP) on cell wall development in Populus
- Gabriel Levesque Tremblay (PhD Completed 2014) – Pectin methyl esterases and its prooteinaceous inhibitor in plan seed development. Currently PDF in US
- E Mizarchi (PhD Completed 2014 Jan)
- Faride Unda (PhD Completed 2012 Aug) – Carbon Allocation in Hybrid Poplar: the role of the Raffinose Family of Oligosaccharides (RFO). Currently a PDF in Dr. Shawn Mansfield’s lab, UBC.
- Lisa McDonnell (PhD Completed 2010 Dec) – Investigating the Role of cellulose synthases in the Biosynthesis and Properties of Cellulose in Secondary Cell Walls. Currently Assistant Professor, University of California, San Diego
- Victoria Maloney (PhD Completed 2010 April) – Function, functional conservation and interactions of the membrane-bound endo-1,4-beta-glucanases orthologous to Korrigan. Went on to do a PDF in Dr. Shawn Mansfield’s lab, UBC. Currently a lecturer, Kwantlan College, BC.
- Andrew Robinson (PhD Completed 2009 March)
- Tom Canam (PhD Completed 2008 May)
- J Keating (PhD Completed 2007 June)
- K Wingate (PhD Completed 2002 June)
- Alex Skyba Ph.D. from ETH, Switzerland. May 2009 – June 2015. (PDF Completed 2015 June) – Genomic of fungal degradation of woodybiomass
- Melissa Roach Ph.D. from University of Alberta (PDF July 2012 – July 2014) – Regulation of cell wall traits via FLAproteins
- Victoria Maloney Ph.D. from UBC, Canada (PDF Jan 2011 – Feb 2013) – Genomics of cell wall development of and regulation. Currently a lecturer, Kwantlan College, BC.
- Ji-Young Park Ph.D. from Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea (PDF Jan 2003 – Jan 2010) – Isolation and regulation of genes involved in carbohydrate allocation during cell wall biosynthesis
- Ravindr MalabadiPh.D. from Karnatak University, India (PDF March 2008 – Sept 2009) – Initiation of somatic embroygenesis in conifers. Currently a research scientist in India.
- Illga PorthPh.D. from University of Vienna, Austria (PDF Feb 2009 – July 2012) – Elucidating secondary cell wall biosyntheses
- Rebecca Dauwe Ph.D. from University of Ghent, Belgium (PDF Aug 2006 – Aug 2009) – Metabolic profiling of spruce, induced and constitutive confir defense mechanisms
- So-Young Park (PDF Completed 2007 July) -Somatic embryogenesis and juvenility of mature conifers
- Kyu -Young Kang Ph.D. from Dongguk University, Korea. (PDF Aug 2002 – Aug 2007). Research area: Wood and fibre quality and chemistry. Currently employed as an Assistant Professor, Dongguk University, Korea.
- Jamie Robinson. Ph.D. from The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia. (PDF Nov 2003 – April 2004). Research area: Evaluating the effect of global DNA methylation on somatic embryogenesis. Currently employed as a research associate at the University of Trinidad, West Indies.
- Kim Rensing. Ph.D. from The University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick. (PDF June 2003 – Jan 2005). Research area: Metabolite profiling and genomic marker development for phenotyping Douglas-fir. Currently employed as senior microscopist at the Bioimaging Facility, University of British Columbia.
- Rana Gheneim. Ph.D. from Grenoble National Polytechnic Institute, Grenoble France. (PDF April 2003 – April 2004). Research area: Synthesis and detection of metabolite intermediates in cell wall biosysthesis. Currently employed as a research associate at the Univerisity of Toronto
- Ursula Mais. Ph.D. from the Technical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria. (PDF June 2000 – July 2001) Research area: Improved hydrolysis of lignocellulosic substrates using simultaneous hydrolysis and physical disruption. Currently employed as a senior researcher at Baxter Pharmaceuticals, Austria
No FRST course(s) were found for S2015 term.
One fine body…
No APBI course(s) were found for S2015 term.
One fine body…
No WOOD course(s) were found for S2015 term.
One fine body…